What Happens to Child Custody When a Parent Moves?

Blog, Civil Litigation, Family, San Francisco Family Law0 comments

moving awayOne of the most contentious points in any child custody and visitation dispute is what happens when a parent moves.  Generally, move away cases end up going to trial more than other family law disputes as there is very little room to compromise: either the parent moves with the child or not.  The aftermath of a move away, though, presents its own unique difficulties.  Generally, whatever court a divorce starts in is one of “continuing jurisdiction” this means if your divorce starts in San Francisco County then the default rule is that it will stay in San Francisco, even after a move away.

However, California Family Code 3422 allows that jurisdiction may be changed to a different state if a parent moves and and evidence of the best interests of the child is no longer located in the state.  At first blush this would seem to say that jurisdiction is proper wherever the custodial parent moves.  However, case law such as Grahm v. Superior Court (132 Cal. App. 4th 1193) has found that visitation by the  non-custodial parent can qualify as sufficient contact to keep jurisdiction with original court.  This means that attempting to move jurisdiction after a move away can be just as contentious as the move away itself.

The San Francisco based bay area attorneys of Jones & Devoy offer practical legal solutions to help you avoid one legal battle after another whenever possible, and, when litigation cannot be avoided, we will provide you with a down to earth assessment of the process and strategies to make sure your rights are protected.

Comments are closed.

Leave a Reply

  • Contact Us


    How may we help you?


  • .

    Please note that use of the above form does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

    Our Legal Team

    Alexander T. Jones

    Mr. Jones has an extensive background in both general litigation and family law as well as experience in various business and transactional matters…

    Daniel R. Devoy

    Practicing civil litigation with an emphasis on client advocacy, Mr. Devoy is experienced in litigating a wide range of legal matters …

    Jones & Devoy BBB Business Review

    Best Real Estate
    Lawyers in San